Tuesday, April 14, 2009

our little veggie garden



Well, our veggies have been in the ground for about 2 weeks now. We planted tomatoes, bell peppers and squash this year. Our tomatoes and peppers are looking good, but I have the worst luck with squash! Every year I plant squash and every year something happens to it! This year, Avery is what happened to it. She decided to pick all of the leaves off of the plants. I am hoping they come back, but wont be surprised if we don't get any squash again this year. I also have a little herb box with basil, cilantro, rosemary, chives, parsley and dill. I love herbs! I think I may order some more herb seeds online. I would love to have a whole "tea garden" with chamomile, mint, ginger, etc. Eventually, we want to have a much larger garden with a lot more veggies. But, for now, this is all we have time to keep up with! We do the "raised bed" method of gardening. Brian built our garden box for us year before last. As the kids get older, I would like to add more boxes. I think gardening is so great for kids. What a wonderful, hands-on way for kids to learn about where their food comes from, healthy eating habits, photosynthesis, and much more! Plus, kids just love to get their hands dirty! Stay tuned for garden updates over the next few months. And, if you have any garden tips for me that you would like to share-PLEASE leave them in the comments! We are beginning gardeners and are so eager to learn from anyone who is willing to share their experience!

2 comments:

kelly said...

I have always wanted to do a garden but hate the idea of having to get the soil ready. I think the box method you are using might be a good solution. Unfortunately i have no gardening tips I tend to kill everything other then my kids.

Brandyn said...

I'm glad to hear you like your raised beds...I got a garden plan from BHG that calls for one 4x8, and then you add to it every year. That way you only add a little bit to your normal load!

Sorry to hear about your squash~I have tips for keeping the critters out but not the children...I don't think soap, hot wire or pine straw pantyhose will keep them out!

I didn't get a chance to plant my squash yet, but my potatoes & cucumbers got DROWNED by all the rain we've had!